I'm feeling discouraged today...at least 4 kids out of 30 have chosen to stop coming to school for different reasons but all with the same result, I don't see them anymore. The main theme is "school isn't working for them" they keep getting in trouble, failing classes, getting suspended, fighting, etc. I don't know how to make these kids care. I don't know how to show them that what they do today affects their future.
I'm tired of asking the same tired questions, "what classes are you failing?" "are you doing summer school?" "how is next year going to be different?" Why don't they care?? Do they not believe that this is their future? Maybe not.
I know in school we were taught to not work harder than our clients, that we couldn't want it for them. Now I'm seeing that's true, but it's also true that nothing is going to get done that way too. If I don't work hard and they already don't work hard...nothing changes. How depressing. I guess hope would be in the few and far between that do see the light...it hasn't happened yet, but maybe someday.
Sometimes I wish I had decided to be a kindergarden teacher...color, cut, glue, nap...well, tomorrow is another day right??
1 comment:
I know how you feel Jamie!! I think these frustrations come with any type of job when you work with children/kids/"young adults". Have you ever read The Five Love Languages for Children? If you haven't, you may check it out. It really opened my eyes to why many adolescents act the way they do and is a great book.
Post a Comment